Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 1

I’ve written blogs before. Well, I write short stories, anecdotes and prose and post it somewhere in cyber space and call it a “blog,” just so it appeals more to “you kids today.” Hell, “blog” is not even in my spell check in a word doc, so how hip can it be?

It used to be a letter to the editor, a Reader’s Digest entry or a pen pal letter, but now the reach is far more expansive by posting my musings on the internet. Now thousands of my closest friends can have full access to my bathroom habits.

Oh, what a world!

This is the first entry in a new style of blogging for me, which in the old days would be called a “journal.” I am going to attempt to put daily entries into this particular blog, because my progress report is essential to my process.

This time, I have chosen to meet a personal challenge concerning my health, and by writing about my journey, it helps me stay committed to my goals.

I am not a “health nut” so to speak, but am very much on a path of good living. My lifestyle has been an evolution of sorts, and I am very pleased with many of the results.

One thing I do is to not put stock or focus on building up my health, either in a positive or negative way. To me, if I keep too much of an eye on negative sources like germs or seasonal illnesses or dangerous viruses, it seems the universe will respond to my fear based messages and hand me what I think about. It seems to me that my friends who are germ-a-phobes get sick far more than I do.

I just realized I should save this stuff for future blogs, so I will cut it off there.

Bottom line is I gained weight again, and I now want to lose pounds. Many factors go into this decision, not the least of which is seeing candid photos where I’m not sucking in my gut while posing, resulting in shame and disgust. Call it an accidental intervention, but I’d now like to see myself in a picture without the need for photo shop.

I weighed in yesterday and had my son video my initial confessions. His giggling and zoom into my protruding belly are also signs I need to develop a program that tightens, shrinks and rejuvenates certain body areas, as well as gives me a revitalized energy. Hell, I gotta keep up with 3 sons under the age of 13!

Today, I am 213.6 pounds. At 6 foot 2, this is not making me a candidate for “The Biggest Loser,” but I’m not ready for my “after” photo to be seen either.

I will keep a daily log, in hopes it might inspire, amuse or entertain, as well as keep me on the path to wellness!

Thanks for peaking in, and all feedback is welcomed.

Ps. I used the word “blog” six times, and in every case it was highlighted in red. Time to tell my computer to “learn spelling.”

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on your journey, Craig. I look forward to following your progress and using it to inspire myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Craig, I made a similar journey starting in September of 2008. From that point until June of 2009 I lost 60 pounds (5'9" 215 to 155). The best two things I did was getting off my ass and cutting sugar out of my diet. I look forward to reading about your progress. Good luck! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i lost 35lbs in a year and a half... remember... you took a while to gain the weight... it will take time to lose the weight. i would start with just eating fewer calories and once you have that down... move on to exercising... doing too many things at once will drive you to a shrink... and not to shrink. :) go you! love you man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Craig, at 42, I Finally lost the 50 I gained somewhere between 2006-2010. I started inOct 2010, and about 2 weeks ago reached the 50 loss mark, got 10-15 more to go, but I see the light! I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago and he had lots of charming complements, but that being said, I changed HOW I eat. I feel great and look like the college girl you met in'88.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck in your weight loss journey. We just changed our portion sizes we ate and got out of the house more often and we feel much better.

    ReplyDelete